Sunday, May 1, 2011

love the dandelions

So it's been a lazy Sunday after a very enjoyable, but busy Saturday. I uncovered the carrots to see how many sprouted, kicked a couple chickens out of the greenhouse as they love laying eggs in there all the sudden, and went back to bed after waking up at 6am to put the sheep in out of the rain. It's raining again.... What a crazy spring where not much is in the ground yet. And I just looked at the calendar and it's MAY 1st!!!!!!

Whoa. Goodbye April showers, right. Right?

I had a fun time at the plant sale yesterday. I really enjoy my customers and I continually am amazed at the variety of really cool people around here that come out. I guess I just forget that sometimes as I'm either staring at sheep with Jason or in my own little world at the vineyard with the only human interaction being at the grocery store with people buying mass quantities of tv dinners standing under fluorescent lights. Feels really detached to me so it's nice to see people coming out and trying to grow their own food and get back into contact with the dirt. Kudos, Massillon.... & Canton & Akron too.

Anyway, I've got a nice list of flowers for the Mother's day plant sale next Saturday. I'm drinking some nice herbal tea with local honey in it right now and contemplating trying some buckwheat recipes. I have some mushrooms sprouting from a maple log in the orchard that are really enjoying this weather. Everything else is a bit tired of it though.
I don't mind it. It's spring time in Ohio. The dandelions are up and are beautiful as always. Everything is starting to grow, the apple blossoms are bursting, and I think I can finally say winter is over, I hope.

I'm grabbing my digger and planting up some sweet peas and calendula now and seeing what the sheep are up to.  Tshirt weather!

1 comment:

  1. i'm so over the rain too. looked at the ten day forecast and only saw one sun. i almost puked. we caved and started the pumpkin seeds friday and threw in a bunch of brocolli, califlower, and cabbage seedlings into mud holes, while wearing muck boots of course. blech.

    ReplyDelete