Saturday, December 19, 2009

sheep are snow mountains

The snow has hit. The sheep walk around with piles of it on their backs, pushing away the snow on the ground to nibble at the grass. It is coming down in little whisps and today we are finishing off the last of the meat birds, which means....

If anyone wants fresh, pasture raised, no GMO fed roaster chickens, just email me. $10 a piece, pickup tomorrow or they are going in the freezer and let me know if you'd like them later.

I am staring at a wood burner we just installed with a new fireplace made out of stone we found on the property. The next step is the cherry trim that was milled from when a tornado hit and took down a nice tree. My uncle saw the potential in the fallen trees and sent it off along with some nice black walnuts that also fell in the storm to be milled into plank boards. He died before he could really help me install it, but some of the walnut is now my beautiful bathroom floor and this cherry is going up as trim at my parents house on a brilliant blue wall, inspired by Max, the peacock. Every time I work this wood or go out to his old woodshop, there is a hollow echo of his laughter like a phantom limb that is no longer there, but you still can feel all the same.

Well, anyways, now I'm doing the normal winter thing... er, well I guess it's normal for me: scouting high and low for more sheep, modifying the garen plans, reworking the CSA, scouring seed catalogs for what people really want, pulling excellent meals out of the freezer and filling the whole house with the smell of roasting chicken, pinto beans, dried herbs rehydrating, tomato chunks, and sweet corn. Well, that's today. Last night it was pork chops, onions, rice (not mine), and broccoli.
I don't think that i've ever thought - man, I wish I wouldn't have frozen so much food. I am so happy this year that we still have peppers and sweet corn to pull from. And the pig this year was great.

Oh, and winter is when I get a bunch of crazy ideas and throw them out there to see if anyone is interested.
My new idea this year is to offer pork, lamb, and beef not by the whole or half, but more like the CSA. Anyone who wants delicious meat can join our Meat Share program, where for a flat rate, you get a portion of our pork, lamb or goat, roaster chickens, and new this year - beef. You can have a say as to how it's raised and butchered.


Well, I guess it's back to chicken plucking for me. Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment