Monday, February 15, 2010

OEFFA conference

So this Valentines Day weekend was really special this year. I guess last year going to see the Pretenders in Akron was kinda cool, but this year was waaaay better. Jason and I traveled down to Granville to the Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Associations conference - Growing with Integrity, Eating with Intention. It was AWESOME.

I guess sometimes I feel like a little satellite just kinda orbiting around, not really aware that there might be other people like me doing the same things I'm doing. Not true. There were people from all over Ohio who came to hear about sustainable beekeeping, worm composting, apple tree grafting, niche pork raising, and a ton of other seminars. My head is fully saturated with new information about soil types, crop rotation, small fruit ecosystems, birthing goat tips, and pride in locally grown food.
Jason and I volunteered in order to get a massive discount and actually afford to go. We worked in the kitchen for both lunches and I really got this odd sense of accomplishment from working with the nicest catering company and serving local, organic veggies, meats, and cheeses.... and taste testing them along the way as well. Granted, I was a bit annoyed at the vegans who snubbed the piece of artisan cheese on their salad (more for me!) but overall everyone was super nice and I got to work up a sweat while doing dishes before sitting down for 5 more hours of seminars.

While the organic greens salad has long been digested, I'm still rolling around a few classes trying to wrap my head around some research that's just come out. I guess the next thing for me to do is go out in the fields and test it for myself.
I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment